Sunday, January 13, 2008

Being "That Crazy Family"

Yup, we had a moment today when we were totally "that crazed family" with kids screaming in the middle of the Bagel store. AAAHHHH...you know it well. I was thinking..."what a wonderful picture this is of us all out to eat. We just love each other so much...it's so fantastic!" And it was! We had cream cheese all over...just enjoying the moment. It was quiet...all the people around us enjoying their bagels and newspapers...and then it happened...a three and a half year old realizes that he does not have what his brother has...the dreaded sippy cup battle ensues. He grabs it out of Henry's hand and insists that it's his sippy cup. Henry cuts loose as he probably should at his age...we jump in and try to reason with Luke. Maybe that was the big mistake...trying to reason with a 3 year old. Not sure why we never seem to learn this lesson...maybe we just don't know what will cause the implosion which must be because we think we are reasonably smart people. Jon tries to explain to Luke that he left his cup in the car and he would literally have a drink in two minutes. The screaming continues...Jon actually goes to the car to get the sippy cup in question, but even when he comes back in...the screaming continues as Luke insists that Henry's sippy cup is his. Looking back, we wonder why we just didn't say, "OK, it's yours." That would probably have been much to easy and besides it felt like Luke needed to "learn" something in this situation.
Screaming, crying, screaming...major punisment threatened...total embarressment as people are LOOKING! I'm imagining that most people are thinking, "Been there done that..." but, then I see the looks on their faces and think, No, they are thinking..."Who is this crazed family and why can't they control their kids? I wish they would leave....". The wonderfulness ends....dern.

Needless to say, we left...but not without a production...by the end I was carrying screaming kids out of the restaurant like possessed sacks of potatoes. As I went, I was mouthing the words, "I'm so sorry, so sorry" to all the people enjoying their most fantastic quiet breakfast and Sunday paper. I had to put Henry down at the front of the restaurant...which gave Luke his opportunity to wriggle free. He ran back through the restaurant screaming, "I DON'T WANT TO LEAVE!"...upside, at least he wasn't screaming "HELP ME!" So, we wrangled the kids in the car...literally. Started down the road...the crying stopped as if nothing happened. We went home and made pirate hats...all is well, but what in the world?
Of course, I wonder what type of parent I am...where is all the wisdom I have been praying for? What just happened here? Of course, I realize it's all normal for the most part. But I can't help but wonder what God is showing me in all of this, because there has to be a lesson. The only thing that comes to mind is that I once was a toddler Christian. I've come a long way...He had to drag me kicking and screaming from situations, relationships and much more and thank God he did. So maybe that's the wisdom here...as parents we need to model our parenting skills from Him. Which is why we have to drag our kids out of situations like that no matter how judged or embarressed we may feel...it's the best for everyone. They may not know for a very long time the benefit of it all, but it's there and they will know...




No comments:

Post a Comment