Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Cauliflower is just plain stinky!

Ok...it's been so long since I have blogged anything for a variety of reasons (which you will eventually hear about)...but I've lost all my momentum about why my house smells like cauliflower...especially, since all the other odors in my house have taken back over and choked the cauliflower down. I know it is, however, still stirring in the far corners of my house only to rear it's ugly head when we have a party or the type of people over that make me actually care about the smell of my house! Anyway, so, I'll try to get back on task with this particular subject. A friend told me about the book "Deceptively Delicious" by Jessica Seinfeld...it's basically a cookbook to teach you how to trick your kids into eating vegetables...it's really not a "trick"...you pretty much just puree the veggies and match them to the color food you are making...for instance, you would put in a half cup of pureed cauliflower into say...mac and cheese...they are none the wiser. The big catch here is that there is ALOT of prep work that needs to be done...unless of course, you are the person that happens to have fresh veggies of all types in your refrigerator at all times. Which is not us....when I go out on limb and decide we need to cook vegetables...they are usually found underneath a half eaten plate of chicken nuggets...and let's just say...they've been there a WHILE and usually unopened. I mean, my kids don't like vegetables because we don't really eat a lot of cooked vegetables...salad, all day long...but mushed up carrots...not for me. Could be those long hours I spent after dinner sitting alone at the kitchen table after everyone but my father had gone to bed...just staring at my now cold, wilted greenbean...defiant as ever, refusing to eat a single nibble. I pretty much would wear my Dad down and he would send me off to bed only to do it all over again the next night. Try as they might, my pallat was never "properly trained" when it comes to vegetables.
This would be the reason I must "trick" my kids into eating vegetables...not to mention it's added work, because I am certainly not eating anything with pureed cauliflower in it, so now I have to make two meals. Anyway...so, I get all the stuff I need and start "mad scientist" like pureeing the veggies until all hours of the night. It was kinda fun! However, once I was done...my house wreaked...because you also have to either steam or roast the vegetables before pureeing. (Quick tip if you buy this book...get a steamer, don't rely on yourself and a saucepan to get the job done). Needless to say, I burnt the cauliflower...which leads to the real reason that kids don't eat vegetables...they are just plain stinky!

No comments:

Post a Comment