Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Our kids will never know...

I know I am writing 2 posts in under 30 minutes, but I must comment on the inauguration that happened on this snowy day in January. In the South, snow is either just barely enough to shut down the city or unpredictably too much and everyone is completely unprepared for it...today, it was just enough for us Southerners to not only shut down every school in a 100 mile radius but made us vulnerable (again) to every Northerners never ending jokes about how silly we are when it comes to weather...sigh! . Needless to say, daycare was closed (yet another guilt piled on to the working mom coming off of maternity leave, but that's another post altogether)...literally, the kids sledded for about an hour total and then it melted. BUT, I did get to watch this historic Inauguration in the comfort of my home...which was truly an incredible sight. I was very sad for the way Bush went out because I think he is a good man with a heart for God and I pray that his decisions will be redeemed in his lifetime. That being said, I am saying all of this about a man I didn't even vote for or that I agree with politically...regardless, I was completely and profoundly touched by the sight of millions of people in Washington and all over the nation glued to their TVs to see the first African American sworn into office. Wow! I don't think I have ever been prouder of our country or loved the United States more. I believe the whole scene sent a very positive message to the world. I have often wondered what it was like for my parents to be in college in Greensboro during the height of the Civil Rights movement and watching Martin Luther King on TV...I think today I know. What spoke louder to me then anything else about the event is that I realized that my children will never know, think or wonder why an African American or any minority cannot be the President of the United States. Hopefully, this is a true turning point in the generation that comes behind us because they literally will not know any different. It was as if the worldview shifted for a second. Even better, try as we might to get the kids to watch...they were just blissfully unaware of it all...as a matter of fact, Luke told me that I could watch the "football game" in the other room...to him, it was just another screaming crowd. I'm glad really that they were unaware...because for them, hopefully, the moment will not be as historical for them...it will just be the way it is and should be...My prayer for Barack is that he will seek God's wisdom in all he says and does...

No comments:

Post a Comment